Unbox your laptop. Inside you should find a laptop computer and a power cord (usually in two parts).
Connect the charger cables and plug in your laptop. Make sure that the power is on.
Open up the laptop lid and turn the machine on.
*Note: when using a Dell Alienware device this will be the Alien-head button above the keyboard.
The Windows setup sequence will now begin.
Firstly, you will need to select a language. When prompted to "Continue in selected language?", select your language of choice and Click "Yes"
Next, select which region you are in and click "Yes"
Then select your preferred keyboard layout and click "Yes"
If you would like to add another keyboard layout, do so and the next step. If not, click "Skip" (we recommend sticking to one keyboard layout)
Now it's time to connect to the internet. Select the correct WiFi network and follow the steps to gain access (you may need to enter a password). You will be asked if you want your PC to be discover-able on this network. Choose your preferred option based on your institutional guidelines. Click "Yes" or "No" as appropriate.
Set up your computer as an Organisation
Fill in the required information including a password and recovery security questions. Make sure you've noted these down somewhere secure.
Now start the general setup
Answers to set up questions:
- Make Cortana your personal assistant - No
- Do more with your voice? - Use Speech Recognition >>Accept
- Let Microsoft use your location? - Yes >> Accept
- Find my Device - Yes >> Accept
- Send Diagnostic Data to Microsoft? - Full >> Accept
- Improve inking and typing recognition? - No >> Accept
- Get tailored experiences with diagnostic data? - No >> Accept
- Let apps use advertising ID? - No >> Accept
- Find my device? - Yes >> Accept
- Alienware Updates: First Name, Last Name, Region, Email address
- Alienware Updates confirmation: tick the boxes for; my information is correct, system updates and streamlined support.
Fill out the Dell SupportAssist information as appropriate.
Your computer should now start up.
Go to Start and type in and select "Alienware Update".
The Alienware Update window will pop up - select "Check" and initiate any updates required. Close once complete.
Next, you will need to customise your Taskbar:
- Unpin all icons from your Taskbar except the File Finder and Task View. To do this, right click on an icon and select "Unpin from Taskbar"
- Remove Cortana from the Taskbar. To do this, right click on the Cortana symbol (a microphone next to the Search bar on the bottom left of your screen) andselect "Cortana" and then select "Hidden". The search bar will now disappear (you can still find this by clicking Start).
- Hide the "Show people in the Taskbar" icon by right clicking anywhere on the Taskbar and de-selecting "Show People on the Taskbar" so that it no longer has a tick next to it.
Adapt your One Drive Settings
- Open One Drive from the Taskbar by clicking the "Show hidden icons" arrow on the right hand side of the Taskbar.
- Open up One Drive and head to Settings. Turn off "Start automatically"
Download the Oculus Software
- Follow this link (or search for "Oculus Download" on your browser" and download either the Oculus Rift Software or Rift S Software, depending on which device you will be using: https://www.oculus.com/setup/?locale=en_GB
- You may see a pop up asking whether you want to allow Oculus to make changes to your computer. Select "Yes"
- The Oculus window will appear, follow the steps on your computer to install the application
- Once complete, you will be prompted on screen to set up an Oculus account. Follow the steps to do so. (You can also search for our "How do I create an Oculus Account" for help with this)
- *NOTE: depending on your download speeds, the Oculus program may take a while to download. Try not to restart your computer during the download. You may want to start your Oculus download before customising your Taskbar if you want to save some time*.
Download Google Chrome
- Follow this link (or search for "Download Google Chrome" on your browser) : https://www.google.com/chrome/ and select "Download Chrome"
- If prompted to "Allow Chrome to make changes to your computer", select "Yes"
- Follow the steps on screen to download Chrome
- Once downloaded, make Chrome your default browser by finding "Settings" in your Windows menu and selecting "Apps"
- Select "Default Apps" on the right hand menu
- Scroll down to "Web Browser" and make sure this is set to Chrome. If promoted, confirm the switch.
Download NVIDIA Geforce Experience
- You will need to download the NVIDIA Geforce Experience package
- Search for NVIDIA Geforce Experience in your browser or follow this link to access the software: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/geforce-experience/
- Download the program. If prompted, allow NVIDIA to make changes to your computer
- Once the program has dowloaded, you can follow the steps to create an NVIDIA account
Protect your computer against viruses
- We recommend installing the AVG free virus protection and un-installing McAfee (if this is already on your computer). AVG will protect your computer just as well without slowing your machine down.
- Search for "AVG Free" on your web browser or follow this link to access the software: https://www.avg.com/en-gb/avg-antivirus-for-mac?ppc=a3&dsc=4wf&d=20&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJiR5IO54wIVy7HtCh1UqgtFEAAYAiAAEgLIp_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
- Start the download. If prompted, allow AVG to make changes to your computer.
- Once AVG has downloaded, you will be prompted to turn off passive mode. Go ahead and do this
- You may also receive a free AVG Browser application with your download. To remove this, right click on the icon on your desktop and select "delete"
- To uninstall McAfee, open Windows and search for "Uninstall Programs". Find an select McAfee and click "Uninstall"
Installing the OMS Program
Lastly, you'll need to install the OMS program onto your computer. This will be sent to you separately by OMS.
Once received, you can download and install the program by following the steps on screen.