You will need to set up an Oculus user account in order to connect your headset and access Oculus capabilities.
*Note: you only need to set up one Oculus account for your institution. You can log into Oculus on multiple laptops with the same Oculus account.*
Open the Oculus app
Select “create a new account”
Select “Create Oculus account using email address”
Set your Account Details:
- Username - we recommend something memorable and generic to your institution eg LondonHospital
- First name and Surname - again, make this something generic eg F Name: London, S Name: Hospital
- Email - set this to the email address you have ready access to (you’ll need to verify this in a couple of steps)
- Password - we recommend you use at least one upper case letter and one special character ($@!) in your password eg London@oms.com
Select “Create Account”
You will receive a verification email. Open the email and click the “Confirm Email Address” button. When you return to Oculus, your email should automatically update to Verified within a few seconds
*Note: you can resend the verification email as many times as you need to. If verification doesn’t work right away, try re-sending the verification email*
Your Account is now created! Now you have a few personalisation options:
- Create an Avatar - have a go if you like, but this is not necessary and you can click “Skip” to go to the next step…
- Confirm your privacy settings
- We recommend you go with the default settings listed here
- Add a payment card - skip this step by clicking “Skip”
- You only need to add a payment card if you plan on buying other Oculus games.
- *Note: your Oculus account will be used across multiple institutional laptops with lots of different users. For that reason we recommend you don’t add a credit card to your Oculus account*
Create a 4 digit pin (we recommend you use something generic and memorable here eg 2019)
You’re ready to go!
Remember, you can change your settings within Oculus anytime you need (see image below). We recommend you stay signed into your Oculus account across your OMS devices to save you time each time you want to jump into VR!